Friday, February 10, 2012

They Said I Need To Go To e-Rehab...



Right now you're staring at your screen, reading this blog while at the same time checking Facebook, news and waiting for Youtube to load. It's okay I'm not spying on you, so put down the phone, seriously though I'm just making assumptions, if you are in fact reaching for the phone I apologize I'm just a good guesser. Anyway, If you are jonesing for good ol'squirt of technology induced dopamine from any of the aforementioned outlets then this article can give you great insight.

Since the beginnings of the internet claims of addiction to technology soon followed and of course with every addiction there is a place to help treat it. Facilities for technology addiction have been popping up all over the world. In South Korea, a boot camp to help kids detach from video games, the internet and other electronic devices, which I saw in a PBS documentary Digital Nation, showed how kids and teens are being affected by the rise of advanced technology.

As many of us know, South Korea is a highly advanced country when it comes to technology, so to me it makes sense that this country is the one that is feeling the backlash of technology induced side effects. As I have mentioned before, I don't believe that people can categorize Technology Addiction as a dependency like alcoholism, but I can agree that the overuse of technology can be harmful to a person's well-being.



I like to use my roommate as an example. He is a stereotypical "gamer", he stays up almost all night playing computer games, then sleeps till 2 in the afternoon. This is everyday, so one can guess that he does not attend class or participate in campus activities. I try to get him involved by inviting to come hang out with some of my friends or just going out to a store. He enjoys going out, but the second we get back, he's on his computer.

It's really too bad, because I can see that his health is taking a slump and he wants to change, but still he reverts to his habits. Do I think he needs to go to rehab? No probably not, I think it's a matter of disconnecting for a few days and finding a regular routine. Though I have talked about rehab centers and their purpose I don't necessarily agree that it's necessary, but it can be helpful to get people on the right track to managing their use of technology.

No comments: